Follow tawdra on Twitter

Monday, April 5, 2010

So. . what's your book about?

I get that question quite a bit, and frankly, it makes me squirm a little. I'm not sure if it's because I feel silly writing young adult fiction when I am so obviously NOT a young adult or if it's the subject matter itself.

But the truth is, I'm proud of my books. I think they're well-written; I think the characters are interesting and well-rounded. I enjoy spending time with them. They've surprised me from time to time.

You see, I'm one of THOSE writers. I know I've read about authors who claim that they are in total control of every word that issues from their pens or computer keyboards. That's not me. When I first began writing Tasmyn's story, I only knew a little bit about her. I knew she had recently moved from Wisconsin to a small town in central Florida. I knew she was about 17 and had been raised very protectively. I knew that she was going to meet an incredible boy who would change her life.

But then some other characters began speaking. I met Michael, and it turned out he has two very cool parents who are important to the story. And some of Michael's friends have also become more vocal than I expected, especially two named Anne and Jim, who had their own little plot line in the first book.

And my original antagonist has not been exactly as I had planned, either. She's actually so interesting to me that I'm thinking she may get her own book some time down the road.

I may eventually post some chapters on here, depending on how my queries are going. Until then, if you're curious, ask me (there's a comment feature below) and I will answer any questions.


No comments:

Post a Comment