Follow tawdra on Twitter

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Impatience. . .

Impatience has been a pretty constant state of mind for me lately, at least when it comes to my writing.  I haven't heard from any agents I've queried for a few weeks (although I did receive a sweetly personal rejection from one agent recently).  I have some exciting ideas for my characters, and I'm anxious to get them down on paper, but I haven't had more than a few minutes at a time to do it. 

And so. . .impatience!

I don't think I'm alone in this.  Don't call the men in white coats yet, but my characters get really antsy when I don't have time to move them forward on a regular basis.  I think they got spoiled when I was able to devote pretty much all of my waking time to them.  Now I'm trying to fit them in between my kids, my husband and myself, and they're a little sulky. 

Sigh.  Get in line, folks.

But there's light at the end of the tunnel.  I'm taking radical action. 

Next week I am going away.  By myself.  I'm taking writing vacation, going about 30 minutes from home, staying in a resort where no one knows me.  I'm not taking a car, so I have to stay put.  It will be me, my laptop and my music.  (Oh, and maybe some pretzel M & M's  and a bottle of wine.)

I have a really big goal, and that's to finish the third book in my series.  After that, I'm hoping my characters will simmer down long enough for me to really put my attention toward more regular queries.

I'll keep you all posted on how the writing goes, as long as the characters let me work on anything other than their story.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you have a wonderful time and finish your 3rd book. I know I can't wait to read it. I know what you mean about not having time, an entire week is amazing. I can't use the bathroom by myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on finishing and having some needed down time. New follower from Time4Mommy :)

    ReplyDelete