Follow tawdra on Twitter

Monday, April 4, 2011

The Quest Goes On. . .

If anyone might be checking his calendar. . .yes, it's been nearly two months since I last updated this blog.  For hard-core bloggers, this is a sin of great magnitude.  For me, it's just been life.

The last few months have been more about getting through life and wedding planning than about writing or publishing.  I've been participating in my writers support group, reading and critiquing others' work, and I've been submitting along with them.  But that's pretty much all the writing I've been doing.

Do I feel guilty about this?  Well. . .yes.  I do, because writing is important to me, and I don't have any intention of giving up on it.  I've been trying to keep it all in perspective, being grateful that I can choose to put it on the back burner for the time being while other things take my attention; I'm not on a deadline. 

But it's also been just a tad worrisome.  These past months have been the only time since I returned to it full-time that I haven't felt the pressing need to write.  Like most writers, the fear that that inspiration will leave me always lurks somewhere in the back of my mind, haunting me.  I believe that we all have seasons of life; could writing be only that for me?

I don't think so.  I think that we all have limited time and attention, and that perhaps in these days when I need all the time and brainpower I can muster, my sometimes-pushy characters have kindly agreed to take a temporary backseat.  They're not gone forever; they've popped up now and again to remind me that the story isn't over. 

One of the other obstacles standing in my way is the need to re-vamp my first story, to make it more streamlined and tighter.  Like most writers, I would far rather be writing new material than trying to improve my clearly-already-perfect-because-it's-done story (my tongue is firmly in cheek here!).  But it's got to happen, and the priority princess in me says it should be finished and in serious query mode before I tackle the fourth and final book.

So that's my world these days.  Circumstances are working toward me having more downtime at home these days, and I expect to be back in the saddle and galloping along. 

Which means that I'll be blogging more regularly, too.  And I hope I'll be sharing some good news sooner rather than later.

Thanks for sticking with me.  As always, stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment